Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympic Dream

Hello blog,

it's been awhile since I last wrote. The knitting Olympics started almost too weeks ago, and I cast on with ready enthusiasm. But my olympic dream quickly began to fade. I thought it would be a little hard, sure, but it's not a hard pattern. It's just big, that's all. I figured I could handle it. But I began to fall behind on my schedule, days behind. Between my homework and the endless-seeming pattern repeats I started to think that I would never see that olympic gold. Then, on monday I decided to pull an all -nighter and get something done. (A personal bout of insomnia initiated this idea, helped along with seasons 3-5 of Babylon five, available at theWB.com). I actually did 'catch up' to the place I wanted to be by that date, but knitting at 6 AM I dropped a yarn over, and in my attempt to fix that mistake, ended up dropping even MORE stitches. At first I thought I'd be all fancy and try to do 'yarn surgery'





But then I got over my delusions of grandeur, bit the bullet, ripped back 7 rows, and got on with life. Now I'm less than half way through the 6th repeat. I need to do 9 total and there's pretty much no way that I'll finish by the deadline, but I'm not going to let that get me down. The knitting Olympics is about challenging yourself, pushing boundaries and finding out who you are as a knitter. To that extent I feel as if I have succeeded, and I will have an extremely pretty lace shawl to wear once the weather gets a bit warmer, and that's what counts. For those of you who are still in the running: Hold in there, it's almost over.


No comments:

Post a Comment