Today I want to write about my finished Dragon Dance socks. I finished them on the 2nd, but I could have finished them way sooner if it weren't for my eternal optimism.
It all started after I passed the gusset decreases in the 2nd sock. Trying it on I noticed with minor annoyance that it was tighter than the first one. "Stupid guage" I muttered to myself. "Why Can I never knit both socks consistently? " But I didn't really think much of it. I've resigned myself to the fact that my gauge varies pretty wildly and theres nothing I can do about it. I kept knitting the foot and comparing the sock to the first one, noticing with growing alarm the unavoidable difference in size. The 2nd sock was considerably smaller/narrower than the first. I fretted and fussed, but kept knitting, always thinking that it would work out. I got as far as the last toe decrease, realizing that my big toe was still sticking out even though I did them the same way as for the first sock. By this point any sane rationally thinking person would have had to give up and realize defeat. But oh no, I pulled some lame ass added toe rows and kitchener stitched the ugly thing together. Wasn't until I tried the "Finished" sock on that I was forced to admit that the whole thing was squeezing my foot like a hungry boa-constrictor. So I ripped everything out back to the gusset decreases. (turns out I decreased too many rows and had 10 less stitches on the needles than I should have. ) I re-knit the whole foot which actually only took around 2 days, and now the pair is finished and done. It feels so much better to just fix mistakes rather than trying to kid yourself into thinking that you can live with them.
On another note, today is the one year anniversary of my Vampire Boyfriend Sock project, so appropriately I am finally casting on the 2nd-sock for that pattern. Let's see how long it takes me to finish this sock of cabled goodness :)