Thursday, March 14, 2013

FO : Wurm



Hello everyone,

Today I have an extra special FO to show you all. It started with a Christmas present from my sister


5.2 oz of BFL that got spun up on my drop spindle.  This braid contained most of my favorite colors. Purples, blues, grays... It was gorgeous. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to N-ply it, because that's the only way I know how to easily preserve the color transition with plying, and I didn't want it to be all barber-pole like. Those yarns are pretty to look at but I'm never sure what to knit with them. Besides I thought it would mute out the colors and make them all look muddy. 


I wanted to spin fingering weight - and parts of the finished yarn ARE fingering weight - but over all it's a solid worsted yarn. WPI varies between 8-12, and it ended up surprisingly even all things considered. Not that there weren't patches of too-thick or too-thin spots. But over all, I'm very proud of how the whole project turned out. 



Normally for spinners, I guess this would be the "end" of the "finished" spinning project. But of course I'm still mostly a knitter, so I couldn't wait to make something with the yarn. I cast on the Wurm hat with US6 needles, and did almost 5 repeats of the rib pattern before being forced to decrease and bind off - used all put a small bit of the yarn. Love the pattern, love the hat. Love everything. 


My favorite part of the pattern is that the brim is doubled. You knit 21 rows, with a purl row in the middle, fold it up, and knit around picking up and knitting together 1 live stitch with 1 stitch from the CO edge. Brilliant, and supper warm, without having to knit the whole thing doubled or with bulky weight ^__^

 


Don't stop here, you know you want to see more FOs

6 comments:

  1. Wow, great job, with the yarn and the hat! I love the colors. I haven't tried n-plying yet, it scares me a little. I have knit a hat with the double brim technique, it is a neat 'trick'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hat is gorgeous! You did a fantastic job with all of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful yarn, awesome hat. Wear it with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice warm cute hat, the colors worked out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yarn's really well done and the hat's as cute as it can be. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair is growing out gorgeously!! [hat's impressive too]

    ReplyDelete